Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Recipe Testing

One of my biggest dreams is to someday open my own bakery and to get so good at one thing that Bobby Flay shows up and challenges me to a "Throw-down." At the rate he loses every season, I figure I've got it made in the New York shade!

I started entering my baked goods in our local County Fair more than ten years ago. I've gotten first place in many categories (2nd, 3rd & Honorable Mention too), including, cookies, cakes, cupcakes, candy confections (English toffee, peanut brittle), quick breads, and even one Best of Show for my chocolate cake (always a favorite of my Dad's). This means I beat out everyone in that category, including the entry awarded First Place.

Truth be told, I'm a sucker for the winning ribbons. They don't all have to be first place ribbons and I collect them like some collect Beenie Babies, the more the merrier - and I have lots to be merry about. I keep them in a special box and take them out for inspiration every once in a while and also to show them off.

This year I'm trying some new things: ginger cookies, Buckeyes, lemon bundt cake, banana nut bread, chocolate cupcakes (Best of Show 2008), and my first place winner from 2009: chocolate chip cookies (I'm tweaking the recipe this year). I'm also making a never been done item called Cake Pops. I was inspired by a baking blog called Bakerella and mine will be gingerbread cake balls enrobed in creamy white icing, eaten like a lollipop. Kinda like a round petite four on a stick. I wasn't sure if it qualified as cake or a dipped confection so went ahead and entered it as "Any Other, please specify" except I didn't specify.

Anywho, the Santa Cruz County Fair is September 14-19 and I have to have my entries in by Saturday, September 11th for judging on the 12th. We always go the first night so I won't know how many ribbons I've won until then.

So that's what I've been up to lately.

10 comments:

lightly said...

things we know

1) you can bake
2) people like the stuff you bake


so why don't you live your dream instead of just dreaming , i believe you can do it and i sure there is a whole load of your people who think you can do it.

the time for excuses is over, excuses are the corner stone for failure.

Pam said...

My mouth is salivating reading about all your sweet confections. Can I be your taste tester?

Open that bakery! What are you waiting for? I think it would be outstanding. Can I be your taste tester?

Let's see...how about a name for the bakery? Hm-m-m...how about THE BLUE RIBBON BAKERY or NOT JUST ANY BAKERY. Can I be your taste tester?

Hugs.

itsmecissy said...

Actually, I already have a name, "Tastes Like More."

My Dad always said this when he really liked something: "This cake is so good it tastes like more!" (he was my biggest fan).

And yes, you can be my taste tester anytime, but this time of the year you may put on a few pounds while I'm practising for the Fair. Course, the holidays are coming up too . . . you sure you're up for the job? ;))

lightly said...

yes we ready, bring it on

Randy Johnson said...

If you ever need to expand your product line I make a mean loaf of "Irie Island Bread” for all of Jeannie’s bake sales (In Jamaica “Irie” means everything good.) It’s my secret bread recipe with pineapple, bananas, coconut, walnuts, vanilla and cinnamon. I also have a 2008 “Best Dessert" plaque from the prestigious Underwood Invitational for my neighborhood famous Butterscotch Bread Pudding. …Where’s a nail? I think I’ll hang that sucker up.

itsmecissy said...

Holy Cow Randy, I want that recipe!!! Por favor con azĂșcar encima?

Randy Johnson said...

Itsmecissy:

Here's my "Secret" Irie Bread recipe. My handwritten copy is an illegible mess of edits and food stains, so thanks for giving me a reason to finally type it up. Suggestions to improve it are welcome!!

Randy’s Irie Island Bread
(Like banana bread, but happier!)

1 20oz can pineapple chunks
5 or 6 ripe bananas
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
2 cups brown sugar

1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3 cups (wheat) flour
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 325°

Puree pineapple (including juice,) bananas, and eggs together in blender or food processor, then blend in milk, oil, vanilla, and brown sugar.

Stir dry ingredients together in separate bowl, then mix with pineapple/banana blend above.

Pour into 2 buttered 9x5 loaf pans.
Fill pans 2/3 full (pour extra into mini loaf pan/s)
Bake for about 1 hr 20 min (until toothpick come out of center nearly clean.)

Cool/ slice/ butter/ enjoy …Irie mon!

itsmecissy said...

THANKS! I'm going to try making this some night this week. I made a pretty darn good banana bundt cake last night...had some nice ripe bananas to use up.

"Banana bread, only happier" is a perfect way to describe it.

Pam said...

Banana bread makes my pants shrink.

Randy Johnson said...

Pam:

I just convince myself that it's healthy, and I can be pretty self-persuasive.
Shrinking pants? I blame that on the dryer ;)