Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Hoarding

Looking in my freezer last night I was embarrassed: I found 11 bags of frozen cranberries that I don't remember putting there. OK, I remember putting aside a few bags, but 11? It never fails, in the middle of July I get a hankering for some cranberry relish or chutney and we can't get frozen cranberries out here after Christmas, so I have to have my stash.

Digging a little more, I also found 5 bags of peeled frozen bananas. You know, when they ripen perfectly for banana bread but you can't drop everything and bake at that exact moment? I usually peel them and put 4-5 in zip-lock freezer bags so they'll be ready when I'm ready for them.

And finally, right there, hiding under the Garden burgers (yes, but that's another post when I'm ready to talk about it), I find 4 bags of cooked and skinned chicken breast. Mr itsme & I can't finish the store-bought rotisserie ones by ourselves, so I cut up what's leftover and freeze for soup. These were freezer-burned (and now you have a pretty good idea of how long it's been since I made chicken soup) and into the trash they went.

Hoarding. I never knew I had it in me.

3 comments:

lightly said...

my advice is "DON'T LOOK IN THE PANTRY" there may be stuff in there that is feeding a whole new species of life.

anyone need soy sauce i seem to have a few bottles (does soy sauce have an expiry date)

Pam Beers. said...

That's ok, itsme, I found something in the back of the refrigerator that was unrecognizable. It had green mold and gray fur attached to it. Could be how penicillin was discovered. You never know what unexpected, new-fangled medicine may be lurking in the recesses of your refrigerator.

Hey, lightly, I believe soy sauce lasts forever. In fact, the longer you have it, the more valuable it becomes...like a vintage wine.

itsmecissy said...

lighly, actually my pantry is immaculate (it's where I store all my baking supplies) so I have to know where everything is and how much I have.

Pam's right, soy sauce -well, the Japanese made- pretty much lasts forever. Even when it crystalizes, it's still good. Mine doesn't last that long however.