Friday, February 04, 2011

Facebook: the Newest 'Big Brother'

I'm (still) so glad I’m am not on Facebook.

Apparently, founder Mark Zuckerberg has gotten the bright idea to make Facebook users’ current address and mobile-phone numbers PUBLIC without getting their permission. Thankfully, two members of Congress took notice -- the Republican & Democratic co-chairs of the Congressional Privacy Caucus -- and have sent him a letter asking for a lot more detail about his plans.

Think about it: by using Facebook, you may be giving up every aspect of your personal right to privacy just to drone on about –and let’s face it - the most mundane events in your life. Facebook users willingly put up with this invasion of privacy because it’s fun, convenient, and cool. It doesn’t bother them that soon there will be absolutely no privacy and that every aspect of everyone’s life will be monitored. Anyone remember HAL?

It got me thinking about those wonderful insurance companies out there, the ones looking out for our best interests when it comes to our health. You know what I’m talking about, the ones who want to deny coverage to those with pre-existing conditions, even newborn babies and children; the ones who decide whether you live or die by paying or not paying for your cancer treatment drugs; the ones who decide whether to pay or not pay for ANY lifesaving treatment.

So, consider this scenario: these same wonderful insurance companies monitoring social web sites, like Facebook, to spy on their customers. Is that person drinking? Is that person smoking? Are they living the healthiest lifestyle they can? Are they partying too much? Eating too much fast food or red meat? And, given how these same insurance companies want to rule the world - for profit of course - does anyone doubt they will take this and run with it as far as they can? And that's only one industry, one aspect of what's happening and what's going to take place.

Nope, I'm not missin' a thing by not using Facebook. It will be interesting to see how much autonomy, privacy, and “freedom” people have 5 years from now.

5 comments:

Pam Beers. said...

As far as I'm concerned, Facebook is for addictive personalities.

What a colossal waste of valuable time to even partake is something so juvenile!

You're absolutely right about privacy. I joined Facebook for a week and was bored beyond belief at the childish drivel supposed adults engage in.

AND my limited time on Facebook was just long enough to be contacted by someone from my past who I would have rather not been contacted by.

Anyway, I left Facebook in a hurry and refuse to have anything to do with it ever again.

supermom said...

It's gone a lot farther than it's initial intention.It started out as a way for post secondary students to interact, mingle, network, reconnect and what have you - which was a good thing. Now they've added games, reduced the age limit and made it a typical site.

But back to the privacy issue. Companies use it also to screen candidates for jobs. Which I do not think is right because what you do in your free time is your business. If it does not inhibit your abilities in your job - what does it matter what you post on your Facebook?

lemming said...

On the other hand, you don't *have* to tell Facebook your phone number or address in order to use it.

I admit to being a Facebook user - yes, I have had people whom I really don't wish to ever see again try to contact me, but I simply set up my options so that I blocked them.

That having been said, I am careful about what I post. I can't vouch for it being profound, but I do like it that only the people whom I have selected can see it, which is one of those hard balances to strike with blogging.

With the Internet, do we really have much privacy?

Just my $0.02.

itsmecissy said...

A-
The privacy thing is the biggie for me. I know we have less privacy on the internet and I am very careful about what I "put out there" but I'd hate to see there be no privacy at all.

Supermom-
I have colleages who are stupid enough to call into work sick (for example) and then post on their Facebook "I'm off to Yosemite for the weekend, see ya Monday!" Our Library Director saw the post and was she ever busted!

Pam-
I've always said that everyone I want in my life right now is here. I don't need to find someone I knew in kindergarten or high school I didn't even like.

Facebook is used by everyone in my family, Mr. itsme and I are the only ones who don't. We get flack for it almost everyday too.

Whatever!

lemming said...

I'd not even finished setting up my Facebook account when I got a friend request from someone I'd taught in Sunday School almost fifteen years ago - her message said that it was all my fault, er, inspiration that led her to be in Div School.

Pretty cool. I decided Facebook couldn't be all bad. :-)

That having been said, it can be a complete time suck, and very easily abused, I agree.