Monday, November 22, 2010

Count Me Truly Thankful

As we enter the week of the Thanksgiving holiday, it is time again to remind myself of all I have to be thankful. This is my favorite time of the year when we are immersed in the season of fall, filled with its warm palette of reds, golds and yellows...even though it is currently raining cats & dogs!

Thanksgiving always means a feast with the family: turkey (deep fried at my house), cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, Mom’s dressing, gravy, pumpkin pie, the whole nine yards. I prefer to stay at home by the wood stove with a good football game on TV but this year the younger generation is taking over and we’ll be spending Thanksgiving at my niece’s in Beaverton, Oregon. She texted me numerous times yesterday to make sure I was bringing my famous homemade cranberry sauce and dessert (she doesn’t know I spent most of yesterday baking cookies, pumpkin bread, persimmon cake, etc., for the journey) And the wine, we always bring the wine. This year we’re taking local wine from the Alfaro family vineyards in Corralitos, CA, just a few short miles from our house. A superb Pinot Noir has been selected to accompany the bird. Friday night, we are looking forward to dinner at Salvadore Molly's in Portland, an interesting "pirate" themed restaurant we've been wanting to try. I'll have to Yelp! that experience.

I am thankful for the little things in life, the fact that the people I love are healthy and we are so close to each other. I am blessed to have people surrounding me who believe in me, and show me everyday how much they love me. I am thankful to have a roof over my head and a job, when many people today are not so lucky.

May this holiday season be a time to reflect, laugh and give! May the spirit of thankfulness and giving carry far beyond this holiday weekend into the lives of those you love!

Happy Thanksgiving! Even you bob.

2 comments:

Pam said...

Gratitude is always a daily priority for me. Thanksgiving Day is a great day to expand that theme. Peace, Joy, and Love to you and yours. And, bon appetite!

Robert Crane said...

well if that doesn't beat all get out!

i'm reading along, thinking this is good. too good. too good to make fun of. i even started jerking a tear that i had to wipe off my mouse pad.

i'm thinking, how nice. what a change of pace.

then i get to the very last sentence and wonder who this poor bob guy might be. i mean, i know it's not me because, as you know, i've temporarily changed my name to vern. anyway, he must be a real nut case. yet, you found a way to wish him a happy thanksgiving too. so now i'm crying like i fell in a vat of freshly chopped onions.

happy thanksgiving to you too ciss!