Wednesday, September 01, 2010

A New California Conundrum

One of our local Bay Area newspapers is drumming up a campaign to create an Official California State Sandwich. So, being the food groupie that I am, I started to research other official state sandwiches and was suprised with what I found. The most (obviously) notable sandwiches are the Philly cheesesteak (thanks largely to Pat & Geno) and the Louisana Po-boy (pretty much thanks to Emeril Lagasse).

Apparently, Ohio boasts about its Carle's Bratwurst. Massachussetts' folks love their Fluffernutter's. Iowans have their "Loose Meat" (thanks Roseanne) and Nebraska has an interesting sandwich called a Runza. Kinda like a pirogi (to me) only in the shape of a twinkie. Even a state in Mexico has an Official Sandwich, Vera Cruz's Pambazo.

Now, if all that sandwich making talk hasn't gotten your mouth watering, here's my idea for a state sandwich fit for California, the California BLAT: Toasted San Francisco sourdough bread, spread with a Gilroy garlic and Castroville artichoke aioli, Freedom Meat Lockers (Freedom, CA) applewood-smoked bacon, topped with sliced Hass avocadoes (originally born in a backyard in La Habra Heights), Watsonville heirloom tomatoes and butter lettuce, served with a side of grilled San Joaquin Valley Black Mission figs & Harley Farms (Pescadero) goat cheese balls, drizzled with honey.

Man, oh man, that's what I'm talking about! I think I'm submitting this as my entry, what do you think?

6 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

That sounds great!! …but I can only imagine what it would taste like. I think you should send one to each of your readers, so we can make more informed comments.

itsmecissy said...

Good idea! While I'm at it, I'll send samples of what I'm entering in the County Fair too. :D

Randy Johnson said...

Mmmmmmm ...I'll grab a napkin and go wait by the mailbox.

Az KD said...

Man! All those yummy ingredients AND a geography lesson too!

I can already see it now...a new Food Network star is born. New? Are you kidding? She had Food Network beat long before, well....Food Network! :)

itsmecissy said...

Food Network Star - NOT!

Did you see the latest New Food Network Challenge? Arti won by a landslide, and for good reason - she's a DELIGHT to watch. I can"t wait until she's the #1 Chef. IS there anything better than curry? (OK, mabye a grilled pork Viet Namese sandwich).

KK, glad to hear from you. This year it's my turn to send you Fall goodies. I've been the worst friend in the known Universe. You are my biggest (for a skinny girl) fan.

Hey Randy, we're coming to Beaverton/Hillsboro, OR for Thanksgiving. Looks like the "younger generation" in the familty is stepping up. I just have to make the cranberry sauce and the pumpkin pie. Of course, I'll be making your heavenly bread for Thanksgiving morn...



OH VEY!

Pam said...

M-m-m-m, black mission figs drizzled with honey and goat cheese. It all sounds so scrumptious.