Monday, September 20, 2010

The County Fair Verdict Is In

Let me start by saying that I didn't do as well as I'd hoped or as well as I have in previous years but the competition was fierce this year (remember Clara & Aunt Bee and the pickles?) and that makes me happy beyond belief. This means that despite hard economic times, more people are coming to the Fair; more people are coming back to the old-fashioned ideas and notions of a real County Fair. When times are as trying as they are, people understand that comfort -like comfort food- lies somewhere between the present and the past. And while the fair changes a little bit every year, it really doesn’t change that much, which is a reminder about timeless verities about how our food comes to our tables, and about the countless community groups that come together each year to bring the best of something — collectibles, giant pumpkins, chickens, orchids - to display.

Here's how I did:

1) First Place: pumpkin bread
2) Second Place: ginger cookies (the judges must have liked them because I entered 6 and there were only 3 left on the plate!)
3) Third Place: chocolate cupcakes (Best of Show two years ago)
4) Honorable Mention: banana walnut bundt cake (too many nuts?)
5) Honorable Mention: Buckeyes (peanut butter ganache dipped in chocolate)
6) No Award: chocolate chip cookies (got first place last year, guess I shouldn't have tweaked the recipe)

There’s something reassuring about prize-winning flowers and vegetables, kids’ 4-H raised animals, the tractor parade, corn dogs & cotton candy, carnies, racing dogs and pig kissing that keeps me coming back year after year.

Talk about finding America, it's all at the Fair.

5 comments:

lightly said...

kissing pigs, okay i see you have been to one of bob's parties as well

itsmecissy said...

Yes, sadly, we did have a pig kissing event. Thankfully, the little cutie wasn't wearing lipstick.

Randy Johnson said...

It all sounds great itsmecissy!
Ahh, the County Fair: One of the last recognizable features remaining of Norman Rockwell's America.

Robert Crane said...

first off, lightly must be talking about that Bobby Sheridan fella. My understanding was that he was into those pig kissing parties.

second off, i've got an idea. why don't you just send me samples of all those goodies you cooked up. i'd say four dozen of each. then I will send them off to the likes of lightly, randy, pam and others. It's the least i can do. We can then judge them for you and give you all the positive feedback you can handle. Let me know if you need my address.

third off, trust me on this. oh baby! trust me.

Pam said...

Cotton candy, greased pig contests, homemade jams, jellies, and pies...life at it's best. I love County Fairs!

Yea-ah how's about sendin' along some of them thar goodies. We'll be the judge.