Sunday, May 23, 2010

Diaspora vs Facebook

While listening to a local radio station's "Tech Guy" show, the host, Leo LaPorte was discussing the current hub-bub about Facebook and was urging Facebook users to quit Facebook. He mentioned a new social network I think is worth following. The video of the three "nerds" explaining the whole thing is a little tedious -they are all barely 20 years old after all- but I'm betting this is going to be major competition for Facebook, of which I can PROUDLY say I have never joined and no intention of joining. OK, I'll admit here, I recently created an account so that I could officially quit (which I did last Thursday) but it takes two weeks for your account to be completely deleted. Seems the gods at Facebook want you to take two weeks to think it over. But I digress.

Apparently, Facebook's CEO Mark Zuckerberg made a statement that most people have gotten comfortable with the lack of privacy on the Web and that basically, like it or not, this is the new social norm, so we should all pretty much get used to it. This has so outraged some Facebookers that May 31st has been officially declared "Quit Facebook" day. (I emailed my family members with this challenge and got, as expected, fairly hostile responses). Personally, I thik this is exciting, kinda like a Civil War on the Internet!

Anyway, besides the new Diaspora social network, there are other social networks out there, about 9 I can count, that care about your privacy. Just remember, you heard it here first.

4 comments:

Ed said...

Hmmm, I had it up to here (quite high!) with their regular dubious policy changes. I moved to www.folkdirect.com a couple of weeks ago (was featured in the Huffington Post last week). All cool.

itsmecissy said...

Hey Ed,
I am an avid HuffPo reader and saw the same article about folkdirect. I know many don't believe this, but life will go on after Facebook.

Thanks for stopping by!

lightly said...

when you read blogs we can safely assume your life sucks.

when you live life via your facebook/folkdirect (or equivalent) then your life totally suck.

if you Twitter or read twitter you have no life, go bury yourself and save your family the expense.

but wait we have more for a mere $9.99 we have this new ....

people just put off the damn computer/tv and go play outside.

Pam said...

I'm ready to chuck anything that plugs into the wall, takes gas to run, or oil to burn. I think I'll even chuck my clothes and join a nudist colony. Puts a whole new meaning into playing outside.