Sunday, May 16, 2010

Cancelled Wedding

Mr. itsme was to officiate next Saturday at the wedding of the son of an old high school friend of mine. We've known Jason since before he was born. He and Joanna were coming to our house this afternoon to go over last minute details about the ceremony when Jason called to say Joanna had "cold feet" and they were cancelling the wedding.

It takes a lot of courage to call off a wedding, especially one week before you're supposed to get married. I sure don't envy them telling both sets of parents and any other family members coming from out of town or far away. Then there's the gifts to return, vendors to call: reception hall, caterer, photographer, DJ, bakery, etc., gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Still, I'm glad they both listened to their gut feeling that something was wrong and understood that calling it off was an option. I think it took real honesty and incredible maturity to be really true to what they knew deep down.

I wish them well and hope they find happiness in the future.

3 comments:

Koozie said...

Thanks for spending ur time to post articles. I will to be reader more often.

Randy Johnson said...

Good for them, and good for you for seeing the positive side of the situation. I canceled my first wedding too, but the photographer said I did it seven years too late to get a refund. So this time I think I’m just gonna forever hold my peace.

Pam said...

Better to cancel the wedding now than to end the marriage down the road when there are children involved. It must have been a horrific decision for them. They are very smart and will find happiness in the future. It's interesting how things work out for the best when we listen to our gut intuition.

Thanks for the great post.