Monday, November 09, 2009

When I Retire

Now that I am able to see the big 'R' in the light at the end of my tunnel, I find myself wondering what I'm going to do with my life after I retire. Mr. itsme and I have agreed that we want to travel. We've even started looking at travel trailers (since we do not fly) and the rest of my family all have RV's or trailers, so there'd be no shortage of people to "RV with," not that we'd always need them to RV with. I don't think we'll do the boat thing since it's often said that a boat is just a big black hole in the water you throw money into. A friend advises that the best way to have a boat is to have a friend that has a boat. That works for me.

Except for a summer working in retail sales (NO THANK YOU EVER AGAIN) libraries have been my life. Still, I don't want to retire from my University library to work again in a library, probably a public library, for less money. And probably for people less experienced than me. (Sounds snooty, I know). I have a comfortable, non-threatening look about me, kinda like a friendly-faced Golden Retriever without the lolling tongue and wagging tail, although I have been known to drool occasionally.

I love to bake, cook (I read cookbooks for pleasure), entertain, and make guests comfortable in my home (hmmm, sounds a little Geisha-like; alas, I'm over 21, too old to be a Geisha). I'm also the person who when in a store, any store, gets stopped by other shoppers and asked my opinion about which of these measuring cups is better (true story while in Ross Dress for Less) or while in the grocery store a man showed me a recipe he was trying for the first time and needed cannellini beans and did I know about them. Or what wine goes best with beef stew? Stuff like that.

My most recent true story was about 2 weeks ago. I was in the Le Creuset Outlet store looking for a new cork puller, and a man and his son came in looking for a particular kitchen gadget. The store clerk - a mere youngster - didn't know what he was talking about, and since I am also an avid eavesdropper, I excused my busybodyness and told him he needed a mandolin. He wanted to make long shreds of zucchini to substitute for pasta, and since I own two mandolins of my own and make a great sauteed zucchini dish using the same technique, I knew EXACTLY what he needed.
I even told the guy the best store to purchase his mandolin from (and it wasn't the store we were in). Note: I should give credit to Mr. itsme for the zucchini recipe since he was the first in our house to do this.

So, I've narrowed it down to working (part-time because I will be on the road a lot) to a kitchen gadget store like Williams Sonoma, Crate & Barrel, Home Goods, etc. (think of the discounts I'll get) or some kind of specialty food boutique like (I like the word boutique) Harry & David or Rocky Mountain Candy Factory, etc. I think I'd even like being a Food Demonstrator at Costco, at least I could dish (pun intended) with other members about food.

No, wait, I have another idea. I loved the movie 'You've got mail' (even though the grammar usage is horrible in that title), I'll be a Meg Ryan-type and have a bookstore like the "Little Shop Around the Corner" that gets run out of business by the big bad big box book store . . . oh, maybe that's a bad idea afterall.

Well, at least I still have a few years to nail it down.

2 comments:

lightly said...

whatever you do never slow down, I have seen a few people who were active and healthy and as soon as they retired (promised to move mountains ) went into a downhill spiral. you want to be those old folks in a trailer causing no end of hell on the freeway you go girl. you want to be the granny at walmart pissing off everyone you go girl. you are just not allowed to sit on the olde rocker and bitch the world is so unfair.
and what is your problem you only 55 a mere babe in arms so whats with this retirement crap.
okay i shouldn't say that momma always told me to respect my elders. (okay you can't blame me you just made it easy)

lemming said...

Have you ever considered working for Pampered Chef or Homemade Gourmet? (More gadgets with Pampered Chef) - set your own hours, work with food, plenty of chance to putter, and by seeming non-hostile, you might inspire greater sales.

I have come to the conclusion that even if the economy recovers, I will never be able to retire. I'd actually like to move into library work - must do some research.