Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I'm a Library Trustee

Last night at the monthly City Council meeting, I was nominated and appointed by my City Council Representative to serve on the city's Library Commission from my District.

Last October I attended a Candidate's Forum (many City Council members were up for re-election) and I was so impressed by the new faces I saw vying for the job - and Lord knows we needed some changes - I was inspired to get more involved in the community where I lived. And since I've worked (most) all my life in libraries I thought it a good fit. So I applied.

My first meeting is February 19th and with the state of financial affairs in this State, keeping libraries a float is going to be a real challenge. I'm up for it.

4 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Congratulations!

I know your neighbors are going to be very well served, indeed.

Have you given any thought to political corruption and the marketing of access to yourself? If so, I hope you have better luck than I did. I spent 1996 - 2000 doing a term on my school board. I let the people around my day job know that access and high-powered political favors could be had cheaply; when the line failed to form outside my cubicle, I put out the word that, for the price of a cold Diet Pepsi, I'd pretty much be anybody's boy. No takers.

You know, I found that the only thing worse than standing under the streetlamp, with my skirt hem hiked up, swinging my handbag, was to do so and get no takers. How humiliatin'!

itsmecissy said...

I'm already getting a taste of that right now and I haven't even attended by first meeting. Seems I've taken my City Council Rep to task (Letter to the Editor) regarding some preferential treatment for a particular community group and he's lashing out. If things get to hot, I can always resign.

And Oooooo, I'd NEVER serve on our local school board, talk about political and biased (besides, I have no children in our public schools and my kitty cats are home schooled).

My co-workers already know I'd sell my soul for peanut M&M's - LOL!

Robert Crane said...

congrats!

based on my obama political career math, you are on your way to first female democratic presidential nominee in the year 2016. i'd make a great biden-like vp when you get a round to looking for one in 2013!

itsmecissy said...

You are Numero Uno on my vetting list Mr. Crane, 2016 it is! We'll both be about the age Biden is now, YIKES!