Thursday, January 08, 2009

10 Best Movies of All Time

A lively lunchtime discussion sparked this post, here are my picks:

1. Gone with the Wind
2. Casablanca
3. Wizard of Oz
4. To Kill a Mockingbird
5. Saving Private Ryan
6. The Godfather
7. Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?
8. Fiddler on the Roof
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
10. Sound of Music

I know, I Know, I’ve left off Citizen Kane, It’s a Wonderful Life, Rocky, Annie Hall, Midnight Cowboy, Raging Bull, Dr. Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia, Mary Poppins, Ben Hur, Patton, The Graduate, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Shane, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn . . . and 3 million others!

Of course, lists like this tend to reveal more about the compiler than the merits of the movies, especially when you label them the Best of. What would your list of ten include?

P.S. Lemming, please upgrade to DSL so you can respond (LOL).

3 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

A surprisingly difficult list to make. I ended up imagining that I'm stranded on the proverbial desert island (this one with a TV, a DVD player, and a source of 110 VAC, 60Hz). So what ten discs am I unwilling to do without?

10. Syriana

9. In Bruges

8. The Big Lebowski

7. The Flight of the Phoenix (1966 original, not the recent obscenity)

6. A Clockwork Orange

5. Big Fish

4. Chariots of Fire

3. Fargo

2. The Boat

1. No Country for Old Men

itsmecissy said...

Jim,
I'm embarrassed to say I've only seen one on your list but I do agree that the other 9 should be on the top 10 list.

It only proves that the list does reveal more about the compiler than the merits of the movie.

Last weekend we went and saw The Curious Case of Benjamin Button and Gran Torino; yesterday we saw the movie Doubt. All three were quite powerful . . . in their own way.

Thanks for visiting.

Randy Johnson said...

My top 10 list:

1. Avatar
2. Gran Torino
3. Schindler's List
4. Rain Man
5. Star Wars
6. Good Will Hunting
7. 12 Angry Men
8. Ben-Hur
9. The Wizard of Oz
10.Saving Private Ryan

Top 3 under the influence:

1. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
2. Big Fish
3. Animal House