Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Just What I Needed

This past weekend was a three-dayer for many of us here on the Left Coast thanks to Caesar Chavez, so my husband and I took a 4th day and went to visit my younger sister and her family in Las Vegas, Nevada. This being our second trip there, we knew to stay somewhere off "The Strip" for a little more peace and quiet. We don't gamble or smoke either so there's really nothing attractive about The Strip for us and having already walked up and down both sides TWICE our first trip, we didn't even go there this time.

Besides seeing my sis and her family, the highlight was driving through the Mojave Desert and seeing Red Rock Canyon. Even better was being overtaken by an unexpected cloudburst with whipping winds and big fat rain drops falling from the sky. We rolled down the windows to catch the wet, sharp freshness that touches the soul and literally takes your breath away. Being an artist, the colors of the desert are like nothing else I've seen after such a rainstorm and I've already begun a new painting in my mind's eye. The various shades of pink, red, brown and white are amazing as are the desert plants: lupine, Indian paintbrush, sand verbena, sages & Joshua trees. We also saw a few Hawks & falcons patrolling the canyons and cliffs.

This is just what I needed. Quiet. Solitude. Sanctuary.

No comments: