Monday, April 19, 2010

I'm so Raven!

Recently got into a discussion about animal spirit guides, or totems (all in fun of course). Come to find out based on all my birth information: whose House the moon was in, what Sign was rising, day and time of birth, my shoe size, etc., according to the Tlingit Indigenous People of the Pacific Northwest Coast, I am a Raven.

It's kinda ironic since I hate to fly (in planes, not on my broom) and generally detest roadkill of any kind. Still, I do feel an eery kinship to the largest songbird in North America. Because of its jet-black color, it is associated with the night and the Earth and has been granted great power - TOWANDA! The Raven teaches the importance of being still and observing quietly until we can see both sides of the light. Must be why I'm such a good birder; I have keen eyesight and more patience than anyone else I know (I'm also a champion Bop-a-Mole player).

The Raven also brings new things, new places, new ideas, and rebirth. Raven helps the worthy, but loves to trick the unsuspecting (BOY, DO I) and is as full of mischief as she is wonderful. Master trickster - I LIKE IT! Raven symbolizes the home of our ancestors, our personal stories and imprinted memories. Raven is distinctly earthy, and feminine (but I do use deodorant). Ravens are prophets, spell-casters, and messengers. Raven offers knowledge of the world to the people for safe keeping. I am infamous for being able to keep a secret. Forever, if need be.

I've got it: create a calm environment, play soothing music, light a fire, grab some chocolate and indulge! I can SO do that.

3 comments:

lightly said...

i know some people who have these jackets where the sleeves tie in the back, it will really help the raven not hurt herself.
what could she come up with a better bird, she must have been smoking the good stuff when you arrived.
wasn't the raven the same bird that noah let go first and it never came back (self centred) , ravens are birds that make a lot of noise and achieve nothing.
song bird is not what you would call it, they sound like a rattle.

based on my track record i sure she would call me a wet duck.

and by the way miss OWL when you were discussing your animal spirits what spirits were you drinking.

okay "raven" that 's just too funny.

Pam said...

Oh, oh! I'm not too sure what my animal spirit is...probably a horse's ass, but my birth sign is the ram or fire or something like that. Anyway, I hugged a tree today. Does that count for something?

itsmecissy said...

lightly,
You know me too well. Elk Cove Pinot Noir, 2008, Willamette Valley, Oregon.

P.S. I've always thought of myself as an Owl but the Tlingit view says not.

Pam,
In the Chinese zodiac, I'm a horse so I guess that makes me full of horse pucky!!!