Thursday, August 13, 2009

I'm a New Member of the "10 Year Club"

I had my very first colonoscopy this morning - 4 years later than I should. Everything they say is true: the prep days are the worst, anticipating the day of is worse than the actual procedure, and lots of good drugs, etc. Pam sent me Dave Berry's essay about his and it was funnier than anything (thanks Pam) and mostly true.

While I was pretty much awake and aware -but in absolutely NO PAIN or discomfort at all- I did not opt to view what was going on on-screen. I did get some lovely COLOR pictures afterwards and will send them out with my Christmas cards this year, send me your address if you want one.

The best part? Juice and muffins waiting for me afterwards, my first solid food in 2 days. I ate lots of green jello, lemon-lime gator aide, chicken broth and butterscotch hard candies. Drinking that MoviPrep liquid was horrid but I chased it with gator aide and ice water so as not to gag. Vodka would have been better though.

The BEST BEST PART was knowing I'm OK and polyp and cancer-free. If any of you have been putting off having this procedure, don't delay any longer, if I can do it, anyone can.

5 comments:

lightly said...

opportunity lost , you could have asked the dr for the video and you could have showed the whole thing right here, a picture is worth a thousand words but couple of your friend keeling over with sickness now thats priceless.

but is nice you hear you cancer free.

Jim Wetzel said...

Congratulations! Why the "ten year" club, though? Are we supposed to get 'scoped every ten years?

My doctor sent me when I turned 50. I was either made to sleep through it, or close enough that I can't remember anything about it.

I guess I should ask my doctor about the ten-year thing. Trouble is, I'm afraid that, if I remind her, it'll turn out to be five years and I'll be overdue. And I just hate being overdue.

itsmecissy said...

Yup, every ten years is the recommendation. If colon cancer runs in your family, then it's every five years.

Thanks for checking in Jim!

Robert Crane said...

i once submitted a draft of a novella i wrote to an editor for a semicolonoscopy because word doctor pam claimed i overused the little bastards, and i had just turned 50 come to think of it. i was drugged during the ordeal as well, and got the worst case of run on sentences i can remember in a long time.

guess i'm good to go for a couple of more years before subjecting myself to that again.

Pam said...

itsme...I'm so glad you had that done and that you are in good health.

Bobby...As your word doctor, that semicolonoscopy worked. Keep on checkin'.

lightly...Let's send one another a pic of our respective colons. After one of those preps everything looks squeaky clean.

Jim...Be sure to have it done every ten years. It's worth it.