Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy "Hallmark" Holiday!

A quick story why I kinda, sorta dread Valentine's Day:

A few years ago, my husband was badgered by his female co-workers into getting me a Valentine's gift. None of these women could believe that I didn't want anything for Valentine's Day. He asked me one day if there was anything I wanted. "No, nothing," I said. He replied heatedly "You never want ANYTHING!" To which I replied "Oh, I'm sorry, perhaps you should find a wife who gets angry and pouts if you don't buy her diamonds, rubies, emeralds, or pearls. Poor you, you have a wife who doesn't think that love is measured by how much you spent on a Hallmark Holiday."

The female badgering at work won out however, and he presented me with a small diamond & ruby heart on a gold chain. It is beautiful (and thankfully not showy or flashy as I'm definitely not that kind of person) and I've worn it every Valentine's Day since but always with a stinging reminder of the brief argument.

This year we are going to the ballet to see Swan Lake and then out for dinner on Sunday, the 17th. Time spent together is better than any bouquet of roses or piece of jewelry. Whatever you do today, tell the people dearest to you that you love them.

No comments: