Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Mother Passed Away 1/3/08

My Mom passed away peacefully in her sleep after a lengthy battle with congestive heart failure. She was only 76 but she was tired and her body had worn out. I've spent the last couple weeks taking care of all the paperwork, i.e., notifying social security, Medicare, her pensions, her insurance, etc. All has gone fairly smoothly but is very time-consuming.

My family and I decided to have her cremated and will scatter her ashes here in the Monterey Bay when the weather gets better. Last Friday we had a beautiful Memorial Mass for her and it was comforting to have my entire family around me. I could even feel my late brother's presence and am convinced he and Mom are drinking margaritas every afternoon now that they are together again. I know she's in a much better place and that her suffering is over. I take comfort in knowing she was relatively happy and in no physical pain at the end of her life, just as she wished.

Still, it feels strange to have no living parents, I feel like an orphan.

3 comments:

lemming said...

What a wonderful image -

Jim Wetzel said...

I'm sorry to hear that your Mom's gone.

For what it's worth, I know how you feel about that "orphan" thing; my father died in '92 and my mother in '02. I didn't have any "unfinished business" with them, but I do miss them, especially my dad. There's been lots of times since then when I've wished I could show him something, or talk to him about something, or maybe just buy him a beer.

Sometimes I think that the practice of loss is what this life is mostly about.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that... I know how you feel.