Monday, February 11, 2013

Today is Going to be Epic

To borrow a line from the current Quaker Oats commercial "Today is going to be epic," I have to confess that I'm not normally a Polly Anna personality type (more like Eyeore to be perfectly honest) but that little boy riding his bike to the top of the mountain and throwing his fists into the air is how I feel nowadays. Yes indeedy, retirement is good.

I've been keeping busy: lots more time for my volunteer baking for Birthday Cakes 4 Free, taking a watercolor class through my local adult education - here's my first decent picture - and being the youngest in the class by at least 15 years, makes me subject to all kinds of advice about the Golden Years.


We've been RVing more, spent a week camping at the beach recently (hence my ocean watercolor). I've even signed us up for an 8-day RV trip to Albuquerque, New Mexico for the hot air balloon festival in October. We are staying up a little later at night and sleeping a little longer in the morning - once I get the cats trained to eat later than 4am that is. I get to enjoy my first morning cuppa with my Best Friend and Retirement Partner in Crime, Mr. itsme, instead of gulping it down during the commute to work - poor suckers! We've been planning and cooking wonderful meals together, going places we've always meant to go (we even have a To Go list on the fridge to help us remember). Do you know how liberating it is to shop for groceries during the week? Or doing the laundry on Tuesdays instead of Sunday afternoon? Stupid little things, I know...

So, thanks to a little motivational kick in the butt from our good friend lightly, I'm back. I'll admit to too much time on Facebook lately so I'll try and write more here (how do you find time for both Randy?) More about Birthday Cakes 4 Free next time ... with pictures!

4 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

Good for you and Mr. Itsme! You two sound like a great team. Write when you can and enjoy... Oh, and my secret for finding time to write AND keep up with facebook is we DON'T watch commercials. We DVR the few things we watch so we can fast forward through the ads... and "OFF" is one of our favorite shows ;)

lightly said...

to the itme family, don't ever retire because that just means you getting old.
i hear hang gliding can be fun, if you going to go hot ballooning then why not try gliding as well.
oh and since you going RVing why not visit beautiful british columbia

Randy Johnson said...

And by the way... now that you don't have to go to work anymore shouldn't this post be titled "Everyday is Going to be Epic"?

itsmecissy said...

@lightly: Visiting "Beautiful British Columbia" is on our RV list. We are planning to drive the Alaskan Highway next spring - all the way to Anchorage. We've visited your neck of the woods a couple times and love it! You ever been to California?

@Randy: yes, you are correct! ;)