Wednesday, October 12, 2011

California's New "Dream Act" Law

While I believe that everyone deserves equal opportunity, I must disagree with this law. How are we funding education for illegal immigrants while we cut funding for public education for grades K-12 (the UC and the CSU too)? Our schools are ranked 30th in the nation and 43rd in per-student spending. It has become increasingly difficult for legal residents of California to get financial aid for college, so how can Governor Brown justify spending money that the state supposedly doesn't have on financial aid for illegal immigrants? The educational goals of legal citizens are being compromised in order to serve the interests of illegal residents of California, not to mention that a legal citizen from out-of-state gets to pay more in tuition then an illegal resident. (Isn’t that nice?) It is an injustice that will continue to set back many innocent, struggling legal students in California by making it even harder to receive financial aid.

Under current law, illegal immigrant students who have graduated from a California high school and can prove they're on the path to legalize their immigration status can pay resident tuition rates. This new law, which goes into effect January 2013, will allow illegal students to apply for state aid. Seems to me that this not only undermines current immigration laws but may actually encourage more illegal immigration by granting access to state resources reserved for legal residents, as well as creating an entitlement program for the thousands of illegals looking for a way to stay in the country.

I rarely agree with the Republicans on any issue but why am I beginning to believe that maybe California isn’t so broke after all?

5 comments:

lemming said...

I'm torn here. Obviously, I favor playing by the rules. At the same tie, I feel for the kids who did everything they were supposed to do (good grades, etc.) but are illegal because of their parents. I'm no fan of Perry, but I think he might have an idea...

itsmecissy said...

I understand A. I frame it this way: If your parents stole a car and gave it to you, do you get to keep it just because you haven't had any accidents?

I work in Academia and live in an agricultural town that is 85% Latino (and probably 50% of that illegal). I see this stuff every single day.

The problem I have with Perry's view is illegals get in-state tuition while legal citizens out-of-state still pay much more. I guess I wouldn't have a problem with privately funded finanical aid but in CA financial aid is hard to come by even if you've lived here legally all your life.

It's troubling for me too.

Pam said...

This is a tough one. Something not too many people are aware of: Many illegal immigrants are still illegal because they have waited at least 11 years for their paperwork to go through. Other nationalities such as Germans, Italians, Dutch (just to name three) go through in a matter of months. Prejudice personified.

Yet, it's the immigrants who clean stalls at the track, pick apples; in short, do jobs no one else wants to do. They are dependable, and do an impeccable job. I'd hire a Mexican to be my barn manager anytime over anyone else...illegal or not.

itsmecissy said...

Pam, I do not believe that illegals do the work that Americans do not want to do. The problem -at least here in CA- is that the work has to pay a Living Wage. No one can live on minimum wage, currently $8.50 an hour.

Illegal workers are taking jobs from legitimate and licensed businesses like landscapers, carpenters, & people in the trades who have had to work hard to get their license. Sure hiring someone to muck out a stall or pick some apples for half of what a legal resident would cost sounds like a deal but think of the people being put out of work because they can't compete with the cheap illegal workforce.

Off my soapbox...

Pam Beers. said...

Things are different in other areas. Our local apple farmer tried hiring local residents to pick apples. Their comment to him was, "I can make the same minimum wage doing less work at a department store." So, there you have it in this neck of the woods.

Your points are well-taken. It differs with different people in different areas. No two situations are exactly alike.

Love your thought-provoking posts.