Thursday, September 17, 2009

County Fairs

When I share with people that I am an avid supporter of County fairs, I usually get a puzzled look. To me, County fairs celebrate tradition and hardwork in a time when ‘instant gratification’ is a way of life. The Santa Cruz County Fair, in Watsonville, CA is a special event and I’ve been a participant for about 10 years. Not only is it where I live, it’s small and quaint, just the way a County fair should be.

There truly is something for everyone: carnival rides for kids (little & big), farm animals raised by 4-H Clubs from the four surrounding counties that demonstrate skills and talents far fewer kids are interested in these days; it’s a place for local businesses to display their wares and services, and exhibits that showcase locally grown fruits, veggies & flowers to help us better understand the importance of agriculture – and why we must never allow it to disappear. It’s about silly-looking clowns making balloon animals and zipping around in tiny cars or scooters. It’s about the tractor parade. It’s about color guards proudly carrying flags. It’s about all ages coming together to have a good time. It’s about community pride, tradition, and a sense of place. It’s about our agricultural heritage and our urban legacy, mixing new visions with old traditions. The fair is also a celebration of true community and an exemplar of how we can live on this planet sustainably, rationally and harmoniously

Every year I enter some of my baked goods and I try and do something different each year. I won three 1st Place Blue Ribbons and one 2nd Place Red Ribbon this year (it’s all about winning ribbons for me!!!) I took first place with my chocolate chip cookies, my Meyer lemon bundt cake, and my chocolate cupcakes. My banana nut bread netted me the second place ribbon. And I’m already thinking about what I’ll bake for next year.

The County fair is a place to go for a break from the daily grind. Let’s hope it never loses that appeal.

2 comments:

lightly said...

country fair , now there is a big waste of time.
let me tell you about these things from the farmboy side of things (by the way congrats to kevin skinner he deserved to win), but i digress.
these things are the only outlet where we can play with our toys (tractor pull etc), we also display some of our products but not our best quality either, there is no way in hell we going to put our prize bull through that hell, for starters they don't do people well and they hate all the hands on them. and its funny that how farmers wife mary never wins a blue ribbon, thats because she makes real food that puts meat on the farm boys bones, chocolate cookies ain't going to happen on no damn farm. thats is there to get miss city life out to these things and spend a little money that may or may not go back into agriculture.
we once had a bull win a blue ribbon and he tasted real fine 6 months later (you no longer do your man duties you become dinner).
and trustme we never name our food, these idiots that name there prize cow betsy are just pandering to the city folks.
betsy makes babies and produces milk after 4 years she becomes the latest mac burger.

we don't get many opportunities to eat lemon bundt cake so you do please come back.
i wish you all the best for next years bake off and if i see you there i will bring porky chop to visit you.


itsmecissy before you get your knickers in a knot, i'm just yanking your chain butt you have to admit it sounds a lot different from the other side

itsmecissy said...

My knickers are nice and smooth, thank you. If I didn't like you so much, I'd take you seriously, ROFLMAO!