Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Teeth Whitening Strips

So, I tried those teeth whitening strips this morning. The last time I bought my gallon size bottle of Listerine, there were free samples attached, and I'm a sucker for anything that has free samples attached.

I read the instructions carefully 3 times as these are my only teeth I'm talking about here.
It starts off telling you to ask your Dentist before using if you have dental work as it will not whiten dental work. Well, my Dentist goes to Hawaii every year at this time to surf so that was out. I was on my own and I felt brave. And I have a mouthful of dental work.

I carefully opened the first little foil packet and immediately dropped it in the bathroom sink. It melted clean away in less than 3 seconds right before my eyes!

Swell. So I open packet number two (not over the sink this time) and successfully apply the clear strip to my lower teeth - it says to start with the lower teeth because of the saliva factor, I know, TMI.

Good so far. Next I apply a strip to my upper teeth, getting a bit on my gums. THEN I read "don't allow strip to adhere to gums," but I decide to live dangerously and chance it. No harm done, it's only hydrogen peroxide for crying out loud!

I stand there grinning at myself in the bathroom mirror as these strips start turning into gel. "Does Paris Hilton do this," I'm wondering? The instructions say the strips should melt away in about 10 minutes for most people. 30 minutes later I'm thinking, I'm not "most people."

I can't stand it anymore and decide to brush the gunky gel off my teeth, floss too. I don't see much of anything different but it does "take twice a day for two weeks" the instructions say and I don't need another gallon of Listerine at the moment.

I think I'll wait until my surfing Dentist comes back from Hawaii and ask how much a professional whitening job costs. Free whitening strips are not for me.

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Your dentist is surfing Hawaii? Mine tends to go on golf expeditions to Hilton Head. I often get the feeling, when my 6-month checkup comes around, that it's time for him to be planning how he'll take care of several BMW payments based on the work I'll be needing.

Guy is an absolute artist with the needle, though -- I hardly ever feel anything at all. So I'll forgive him for using my mouth as his financial engine.

itsmecissy said...

Yeah, I know what you mean . . . hmmm, my next 6-month is in February come to think of it. He actually surfs all over the world but takes his family to Hawaii for Christmas.

I've had the same Dentist for over 22 years and I wouldn't trade him for anything. He works hard and I don't begrudge him the time off.