Monday, June 23, 2008

Sex and the City

This is a tad late but some female friends and co-workers have now seen the movie and are urging me to also. Other than being a great excuse to drink Cosmos, the movie was a short topic on another (hi bob!) amazing blog I read religiously, and this was my response there:

"I never really watched the show, mainly because I don’t have HBO at home, but I did watch a couple episodes while traveling (hotels ALWAYS have HBO). Sex and the City may have been a great study of female friendship but like Miranda pointed out in one episode I did watch, “How does it happen that four such smart women have nothing to talk about but boyfriends?”

I’m not saying it wasn’t a good show since it dealt with many important topics like infertility, bereavement, ageing, single motherhood, sexual discrimination and divorce, to name a few. And the way they spoke, and the things they talked about, were (supposedly) very revolutionary

BUT

If I had been a loyal fan of the show, I think I would have been disappointed at the end. Why do they (and most all other networks) always have to go back to the “traditional view” that the future for (most) women means marriage and children?"

- - - - - - - - - -

I would add: why is it that otherwise intelligent women are not seen as "fulfilled" in our society until they are married and have produced children? The one network program I did enjoy watching every week was "Mad About You." At last, an obviously in love couple enjoying life together without children - - - until the final episode when "Mable" came into the world and ruined it all. She was given a god-awful name that was proof positive (at least to me) that Jamie & Paul really did not want children in the first place, else why would they name their child Mable???????

OK, for a slow day, that's my two-cents on Sex and the City.

3 comments:

Robert Crane said...

memissy,

i couldn't agree with you more, right down to mad about you, which i loved right up to that exact same moment.

i'd be worried if i were you.

seriously, not bad for a slow day!

Jim Wetzel said...

Hi, Cathy! In case you don't see the comments at my blog right away, the address is question is: jcwetzel [at] mchsi [dot] com. I'm looking forward to seeing the girls, and I know Tybalt is, too!

--- Jim W.

lemming said...

One needs an excuse to drink cosmos? :-)