Monday, March 17, 2008

In Honor of St. Paddy's Day

The Leprachaun
by Robert Dwyer Joyce (1830-83)

In a shady nook one moonlit night,
A leprachaun I spied
In scarlet coat and cap of green,
A cruiskeen by his side.

'Twas tick, tack, tick, his hammer went,
Upon a weeny shoe,
And I laughed to think of a purse of gold,
But the fairy was laughing too.

With tip-toe step and beating heart,
Quite softly I drew night.
There was mischief in his merry face,
A twinkle in his eye;

He hammered and sang with tiny voice,
And sipped the mountain dew;
Oh! I laughed to think he was caught at last,
But the fairy was laughing, too.

As quick as thought I grasped the elf,
"Your fairy purse," I cried,
"My purse?" said he, "'tis in her hand,
That lady by your side."

I turned to look, the elf was off,
And what was I to do?
Oh! I laughed to think what a fool I'd been,
And, the fairy was laughing too.

1 comment:

Jim Wetzel said...

I saw this a couple of days ago, Cathy, but I was in too big a hurry to sign in. I liked it very much indeed. Thanks for posting it!