Thursday, October 11, 2007

My brother Ed

My oldest brother, Ed, is 62 years old and losing his battle with inoperable liver cancer (first appearing in his stomach).

It was early September 2006 when he was first diagnosed. I blogged about it last year. Chemotherapy was a real roller coaster ride and has had no lasting effect. He’s had the best Doctors, even some from Stanford University Medical Center. This past Tuesday, he was told he had “a couple weeks.” He probably will not make it to Thanksgiving, maybe not even to Halloween.

The jaundice has returned. He is losing bowel and bladder control and has difficulty swallowing (he has to wears Depends and hates it). He cannot walk or stand alone. He has refused Hospice and does not want to die at home. Morphine is his best friend.

I am going to visit him this weekend. I’m baking his favorite cookies: chocolate chip with toasted pecans. I cannot stand to think that this may be our last time together. I cannot imagine my world without him in it. 62 years, 30 years, 99 years, it all goes too fast! It’s not fair. It’s just not fair!!!

4 comments:

lemming said...

Oh, I am so sorry.

I wish that I had something as wonderful and a kind as favorite home-make cookies to send you - please accept my best wishes for you and an end to pain for your brother.

itsmecissy said...

Thank you lemming,
We had a very nice visit considering the circumstances. I'm lucky to have had him in my life as long as I have.

Jim Wetzel said...

Cathy, I'm really sorry -- not the least for failing to make the rounds of the blogs for so long. Is your brother still with us?

itsmecissy said...

Yes, he is fairly stable as of this writing. We are having our family Thanksgiving this Saturday and since I am closest to the ocean, we are bringing 2 gallons of cioppino, cracked crabs and peel & eat shrimp. We plan to make a big mess (and probably cry a lot)and take lots of pictures. Thanks for asking Jim.