Thursday, September 13, 2007

Touched by an Angel

So, yesterday morning I was hurrying through the library (where I work) to the upstairs cafe, trying to get my morning cuppa before the line got too long. A little girl, maybe 2 years old, was being strollered through the security gates by her Mother. I had a lot on my mind and do tend to furrow my brow when deep in thought, but looked up just in time to see her beam me a smile. It stopped me in my tracks. I gave her a short, somewhat embarrassed little smile in return and hurried on my way. Ten minutes later - short line for a Wednesday - returning with coffee in hand, I heard a child yelling "hi" over and over again. Annoyed that some slacker parent was letting their child yell in the library AGAIN (and thinking why weren't they in the children's room instead of the adult browsing area), I looked around for the source: that's when I realized the loud hi's were for me. The same smiling angel was trying to get my attention. Did she know I was going through some difficult times? How did she know I needed a smile and a friendly hello at that moment? So I gave her my best smile and a wave in return because you never know when you're going to be Touched by an Angel.

2 comments:

Robert Crane said...

ah, sometimes magic can occur from the most unusual sources. great little story.

lemming said...

Children are lovely when needed - and even more touching when it's so annonymous.

On a different note, your pirate name is WAY cooler than mine! ;-)